20 Jul
2009

Mary Lake at Port Sydney, Ontario

The welcome sign says “Home of 800 nice families and 1 old grouch” in Port Sydney, Ontario.
Located approximately 12 km’s south of Huntsville and just off highway #11. This is the area next years G8 Summit will be held.

Port Sydney is situated on Mary Lake and is also part of the North Muskoka River.  See Google Map

Please Click the image for a G8 sized photo

In: historic muskoka, tripin around towns

1. Jenn Jilks says:

I bet, during the Summit, there will be a lot more grouches! Some are threatening to get out of town!

2. Heather says:

The welcome sign is cute…wonder what the story is behind it???

Can you just imagine what the area will be like there during the G8…I agree with Jenn…there are sure to be many grouches during that time period!!!
    Peaceful shot though…
    Cheers

3. Bren Stallard says:

We are visiting the area in August 2010. Can anybody tell me please if the Beauideal Restaurant in Port Sydney is still open? We have enjoyed many enjoyable visits there in the past. Thanks

4. Cheryl Wagg says:

Port Sydney is where I spend my life until I was 13 years old and my parents moved
    us to Richmond Hill, Ontario where I still reside as of today June 23, 2011. I love
    Port Sydney and would love to move back someday. We had a great childhood memories from that location it is so peaceful and relaxing area to live.

5. Terry Brown says:

does any one have any info on what happened to nichols cottages that was near where this photo was? there was a house that sold some candys, a cottage with a water pump and a little stream and a beautiful lawn stretched to the water, i think there were three cottages in a row. mrs nichols lived in her new bungalow where we would pick up keys (in 1978 or so)

6. George Yons says:

While visiting friends on Lake Mary over several weekends, Kay, my wife came up with the idea that a festival of music, fun and boating would be a good idea. Some of the residents and summer people liked the idea and the result was Festival Under the Stars. That was in the late “70s” and we are wondering if the festival still exists. If so, we would like to visit the lake at festival time. We would greatly appreciate any news.

7. Wendy Miller says:

I spent summers there as a child. My grandparents lived up the road and we walked to the beach, fed charlie the racoon and spent my allowance at the store that delivered groceries to the house. Spent sundays at the little white wooden church. From 1960 to 1974 I have the best memories of learning to swim learning to sail going down the falls and wearing out my shorts…. I’m a california girl my grandparents moved to victoria island in 1974. Would love to visit. Maybe soon

8. Dennis Cheel says:

The origin for the sign about “one old grouch”? Mr & Mrs Venebles lived in the town. Mr Venebles was the mayor, the fire chief, the warden, the postmaster, ran the only general store (The only one for many years) — in other words he was everything in the town. Well respected, well loved, but he did have a grouchy personality at times. When they put up a new town sign with the population on it the townspeople, during a town meeting, decided to go with the slogan to honour (and poke a little fun) at Mr Venebles.
    How do I know this. Mrs Venebles told me one day when we were staying at their cottages down by the river and were at their general store — and Mr Venables was right behind her at the counter say “Don’t tell them that! Don’t tell them that!” and then laughing.

9. Dennis Cheel says:

Terribly sorry, everyone! I realized I made a terrible mistake. The gentleman and lady in question was named Watson. Mr & Mrs Venebles had the cottage beside ours for several years (yes, they were cottages belonging to the Watson’s) and I mixed the names up — must have been a senior moment!!
    All the other details are correct. It was Mrs Watson who explained to me how the “one old grouch” was placed on the Port Sydney sign, in honour of all the positions and duties Mr Watson did for the village of Port Sydney.

10. Em Arde says:

Small world! Mrs. Watson was apparently my wife’s grandmother’s cousin. She (my wife) remembers the area, the store, the Watson cottages, and the “slippery rocks” quite fondly.

11. R Doyle says:

Clearwater Lodge was located just outside Port Sydney and the lodge encompassed both Mary Lake and Clearwater Lake. The summer resort was owned and operated by the UE Union for families of their factory workers; as a result, many of the families travelled there from the Hamilton and Welland areas. For these families, going to Clearwater Lodge was an annual summer treat. Some of the facilities included a large recreation hall with tuck shop, a TV lounge, shuffleboard, two dining rooms (for kids and adults), both separated and joined cabins, plus plenty of water activities. The lodge closed for good in the early 1980s after operating for decades. I’m surprised nobody has remembered Clearwater Lodge with a website as hundreds of families enjoyed their time there.

12. Julie Smith says:

We live in Hamilton and our family use to travel to Clearwater Lodge for our annual trip every year, up until I was 18 years old. We just loved the place and have such wonderful memories of the lodge and all the wonderful people we met, year after year. There was a couple of families we got really close to and use to arrange our trips the same time as theirs. We especially liked the “costume dress-up” night, we would find things around the cottage or greenery from outside and dress my parents up to have a great night in the lodge.
    Is there anything in place of that lodge now? would love to go up in the area just to see what it is like.

Julie

13. PAULINE LAWLER says:

I WANT TO MOVE TO PORT SYDNEY.
    RENT FIRST FOR ONE YEAR THAN A PURCHASE FOR WATERFRONT HOME.
    PLEASE SEND ME LITERATURE AND PHOTOS OF THE TOWN AND LAKE.

14. Ed Boutilier says:

Pauline – I am not a real estate agent. Through your connections at Royal LePage you should be able to get the information you need.
    regards
    Ed

15. Dave (cricket)Billyard says:

Ue lodge was the best. Went there from infancy till working there for 3 years as a teenager. Tons of good memories and it would have been nice had it stayed on to take my kids there.

16. Dave (cricket)Billyard says:

@ Julie. I’m sure you will remember Pioneer had a couple camps on clearwater and one on Divine. They purchased it and now run a camp out of there.

17. Alan Muir says:

I could have sworn the sign said “500 nice people and 1 old grouch” when I was growing up there in the 70s.