26 Aug
2009

Muskoka Architecture – Driving Through an Art Gallery in Your Boat

While traveling up to Royal Muskoka Island on Lake Rosseau in Muskoka you cannot miss this modern design boathouse tucked into a little bay. I tried to research the history of this structure however came up empty handed so if anyone has anything I would appreciate it. The cottage on this beautifully manicured property is consistent with the boathouse design.

The modern or perhaps international design is certainly not fitting to everyone’s taste however we are very fortunate to see a wide variety of architecture on the Muskoka lakes. Its like driving through an art gallery in your boat. How boring it would be if every cottage or boathouse was the same cookie cutter design.

For an interesting read on Muskoka architecture I recommend you browse through the well researched articles by my blogger friend Thelma Jarvis. Architecture, Building & Design

Please click on the image for a large photo

Modern Boathouse

In: boathouses of muskoka, on the water

1. Jenn Jilks says:

I echo your sentiments! The diversity of flora and fauna is echoed in the architecture and the people who live/visit here! With small cottages dating from the 60s to the new family compounds, it is all interesting.

2. Heather says:

What a grand boathouse…I think the diversity of the old/new buildings adds interest and character to the shore line!

Cheers

3. leslie says:

if you look at the center door it is larger then the others, i would say it is for an airplane or sailboat. I’ll see what I can find out.

4. leslie says:

5. leslie says:

all right did some digging, not much but the boathouse was built like that for no reason, actually it kind of resembles the cottage. It was owned by a plastic surgeon, not sure now. nothing special about it just design. evidently it took 17 tractor trailer loads of sod for this place and a irrigation system to blow you mind.

6. Craig says:

I forget the doctor’s name. he is an asian fellow. had lots of kids. so many that he drove an extended econoline van. growing up in Rosseau, I remember them coming to town often.

7. Deborah says:

This property is the sight of the original Juddhaven and then a hotel called Ernscliff. The land was a free grant in 1874, sold to Ralph Judd in 1884. The hotel was sold and became a religious retreat in the 1960s. In around 1968 the old hotel building was torn down and this Frank Lloyd Wright designed cottage and boathouse was constructed. It was built and still owned by a Toronto based surgeon.

8. shane says:

The cottage and boathouse was constructed by ex-Governer General’s Adrienne Clarkson’s brother Dr Poe the plastic surgeon. Unsightly at best I think.

9. People Of Rosseau North says:

The gardens on the grounds of this property are spectacular, but the property is surrounded by an electric fence to keep the deer from eating all the flowers (or just to keep you away).