17 Oct
2010

Bohemia Island, Lake Rosseau

The weather was cool but still warm enough to enjoy a seasonal boat ride without layering up too much. This is Bohemia Island on Lake Rosseau near Tobin Island not to be mistaken for North Bohemia which lies on the opposite side of Tobin Island closer to Juddhaven. I am not certain of its history however if its consistent with other Muskoka Islands I am sure it has a storied past.

Please click for a larger sized photo

In: historic muskoka, in and around muskoka ontario, on the water

1. Jenn Jilks says:

I dreamed that I had a lake in our backyard here. Miss it, but not the citiots! I have a frog pond! 🙂

2. Charles says:

Just looking for pictures of this Island and I found this post, thank you for making a post about my families island, if you would like I could shed some light on history and the families that have cottaged here.

3. Charles says:

Love this little post, the island has been in my family since 1878. Would love to share some history if you’re interested.

4. Ed Boutilier says:

Hello Charles,
    Thank you for checking in. I would and I’m sure others would certainly love to hear some background on Bohemia Island. It’s amazing that the property has been in your family for well over a century.

5. Stephen Devine says:

Hi There,
    As a kid in the early ’70s, my family spent some time at a family friend’s cottage just across from Bohemia, on Tobin Island. The cottage owner was Rod Jackson (originally of Barrie) and he used to paint this on the rock by the boathouse: “RODIRWINET”.
    I’m wondering if anyone might have any pictures of this cottage and boathouse on Tobin Island.
    I can remember as a kid being told that a former governor of Bermuda (Richard ____) had a cottage close by. If I’m not mistaken one or more of that family would shuttle to and from their cottage via seaplane.
    Any information and/or pictures would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you!

6. Brian Perry says:

I was wondering if anyone had any information about the author algernon blackwood being on Bohemia island (I have also seen one report that he was on north Bohemia island, but these islands probably get mixed up in articles I presume)