09 Mar
2010

Stop this is my land .. umm ok

I noticed this barn with an interesting sign on it on the way into Bracebridge on Highway #118. If you can’t see the sign on the barn it says, “Stop this is my land”  and “Back Off Government” It appears to be from the Ontario Landowners Association. I have not had time to figure out what the skinny is as of yet. More if you dare: www.ruralrevolution.com

Please click on the image for a barn sized photo

In: in and around muskoka ontario

1. leslie carr says:

these signs went up when they tried to bring the tree cutting by-law in. The had it that anyone with 10+ acres had to get a permit and permission to cut a tree down. they stopped the by-law but some of the people are still on the band-wagon and left their signs up.

2. Heather says:

Hey…great shot, interesting signage!!!

Can’t imagine owning 10 + acres of land and being told I require a permit to cut trees down???

Cheers

3. Jenn Jilks says:

I can imagine it, especially with people dividing up lots, and tree cutting ops affecting neighbours. We really do need to have a vision of small town Muskoka. The big box stores are moving in, we’re giving out too many variances and grandfathering things like frontage by-laws.
    See: ” Rezoning request irks neighbours

[BRACEBRIDGE — Bracebridge’s development services committee is seeking more information before it approves a contentious rezoning affecting part of the former 60-hectare Bangor Lodge property.]
    Great shot, Ed!

4. Ed says:

Thanks for the comments. After the destruction I witnessed on Mary Grove

I would not have a lot of faith in the town counselors making the right decisions about preserving Muskoka. I do not understand why its full tilt ahead with development. Perhaps the wrong people have been voted in?

5. I’m with you, Ed.
    That’s exactly the right “perhaps.”
    Barn photo is awesome, by the by.

6. Ed, great photo. I don’t know what it is, but I’ve always been drawn to old weathered farm buildings, like the one pictured.

7. Jennie says:

I have seen this barn as well and wondered what the sign was about.

8. Gerry Burnie says:

Hi Ed.

Just wanted to let you know that my review of “English Bloods: In the Backwoods of Muskoka, 1878” has been posted. If any of your viewers are interested they can find it at, http://www.gerrycan.wordpress.com.