07 Aug
2010

Cruising up by Playfair Island

I found this cool looking old boathouse/barn and old cottage tucked into a little bay up on Lake Joseph just past Playfair Island. I have no idea of its history however I would hazard to guess this was probably a working farm at some point. You can see the location on Google Maps HERE

Please click on the photo for a much larger sized photo

In: boathouses of muskoka, in and around muskoka ontario

1. Jennie says:

Hi Ed… I haven’t been blogging for quite a while now so it took me a few minutes to catch up on your photos. Amazing as always – each new one became my favourite! Hope you are enjoying this amazing summer!

2. Susan says:

Hi – This is the original Gordon Bay Farmhouse. The trains would drop their passengers and the launches would come in to pick up their guests/owners to take them out to the islands – the original post office, blacksmith, greenhouse, school house and much more are a part of this historical home to this day. At least five, if not six generations have loved this place, had picnics on the lawn and swum off the docks.

3. Kelly says:

Beautiful Shot! I recognize it immediately, firstly as the old Post office, but sendly our next door neighbour.
    Love your blog, you do amazing work.

4. Jannette says:

This is our view from our island dock. I have taken many pics. of the old boathouse. There used to be a second old building to the left, but it was recently torn down.

5. Ed Boutilier says:

Hi Jannette,
    I always love passing by the old boathouse and farmhouse when I cut through the channel. I hope this visual stays on the lake for a very long time.

6. susan says:

Hi Ed
    They work very hard maintaining their buildings!! The second boathouse that was damaged has now been restored. Our very good neighbours – true Muskokans – first family wedding held there this summer and it was stunning. Love your blog Ed.

7. Brian Weston says:

Hi Ed, Susan is correct. “Gordon Bay” house/post office. I used to fish off the dock back in the late 1960’s early 70’s. I recall it was owned and farmed by my paternal grandmother’s family – the Hatherley’s. Glad to see it is still standing. Good memories of apple picking, fishing, and swimming. Thanks for sharing. –brian

8. Kelly Francey says:

Hi,
    I had a scare and saw a similar house (but it was in parry sound) for sale and was terrified and extremely sad. happily it was the wrong house.
    My family used to summer here back in the 50’s 60’s and early 70’s, – I believe Uncle Frank’s and aunt rosemary’s children now run the place. it Was updated by Uncle Frank and Aunt Rosemary I think in the 90’s?

glad to see the Westons are still around.

9. Brian Weston says:

Hello Kelly, long time! I have many fond memories of Lake Joseph, Parry Sound, Gordon Bay our cousins, fishing, swimming, canoeing, … Our parents passed away two years ago at age 83. You can search for me and then connect via LinkedIn or Facebook and I can provide you with news on Mark, Allan, Jane and myself (Brian). I hope your brothers are well! Try searching for “linkedin brian weston datayes” or “facebook brian weston san Francisco”. Enjoy the last of the warm weather for 2016.